Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

amd stated that their newest cpus/gpus will no longer support win10. guess learning linux will be sooner rather than later
Crazy to me these software manufacturers are just refusing to allow their new cpus from working on older systems, real scummy tbh. Glowies must hate how more easily accessible Linux is becoming and what you can do with it these days privacy and software compatibility wise, it's not perfect and half my steam games don't work on it but it's made strides from what it was in the 2010s and before that, once it's more normie friendly there will definitely be that leap to Linux OS as your average joe sees how bad Windows privacy breaches are getting. Most won't care or be bothered to make that jump mind you but the educated and smart will, especially when as when see older Windows OS getting gutted more and more.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Crazy to me these software manufacturers are just refusing to allow their new cpus from working on older systems, real scummy tbh. Glowies must hate how more easily accessible Linux is becoming and what you can do with it these days privacy and software compatibility wise, it's not perfect and half my steam games don't work on it but it's made strides from what it was in the 2010s and before that, once it's more normie friendly there will definitely be that leap to Linux OS as your average joe sees how bad Windows privacy breaches are getting. Most won't care or be bothered to make that jump mind you but the educated and smart will, especially when as when see older Windows OS getting gutted more and more.
companies and their bug men shares holders only see money. they see how much money is generated with subscription services, hence the push for it. microsoft has even floated around the idea of making windows subscription based.

V

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

yep. i would've stayed with win10 but the pc i was building would have not been able to use its specs to its fullest if i did.
That's so retarded yeah bro just upgrade ur PC in order to install a new OS ffs I'm currently getting money to buy a motorcycle cba to spend even more money on a pc just to install w11

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

fuck ive been using linux casually for a couple years and its honestly not that fucking hard to use , if you game maybe? but for the shit i do i don't even really need to do shit. Wine pretty much carries a good portion of the OS when i want to do shit and for graphics and other shit krita/gimp work fine if not better than the shit i use atm. Just install ubuntu or another debian based distro and you're good , its not hard to install in the slighest. People do tend to shit on the CLI but ive found once you get used to it , it becomes faster than normally working with a GUI. Learning bash takes pretty much an evening and theres alot of tools that you don't really have in windows like Grep which are pretty useful for finding specific shit. thankfully linux isn't as fucked as it was like 10 years ago (community is still dogshite) , and you can generally use it as a daily driver if you don't game that much or do graphic design.

BaloneyPony

Mongolian Basket Weaver
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Made the total switch to linux a few years back due to Windows 10 overloading my CPU during a RAM upgrade. I still use a KVM for niche software usually for modding Bethesda games but modding tools for that are getting better as Steam Deck modders get Mod Organizer more stable. The only other game I need the KVM for is Multi Theft Auto since it has a bunch of weird anti piracy measures I haven't been able to crack on linux. The day will come that virtual machine is retired and I am fully gaming on linux directly. That KVM will never touch Windows 11 unless an LTSC version is released with all the garbage stripped out.

CyberScribe

In the Mainframe
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I'm a big AI fanboy but baking it into the OS is just not the way to do it. If people want to run LLMs they should just use Claude or (the superior alternative) host an open-source model locally. Yes, if there was ever a reason to switch to Linux this would be it. If you still want a local AI assistant you can host it on something like Ollama or Sillytavern which both work on Linux.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

I'm a big AI fanboy but baking it into the OS is just not the way to do it. If people want to run LLMs they should just use Claude or (the superior alternative) host an open-source model locally. Yes, if there was ever a reason to switch to Linux this would be it. If you still want a local AI assistant you can host it on something like Ollama or Sillytavern which both work on Linux.
Biggest issue with local are hardware requirements. I mean God dam
You can have the very best GPU, but still you can't do much with it because it only has 24gb of VRAM. Sure you can run smaller models really well on it, but the moment you want a big (70b) model you have to choose between:
>Model being coherent
>Generation times not counted in minutes

Also "assistant cards" i know what you're up to used to be fun. I feel like there was way more "creator awareness" and general creativity. 1.5 years ago when local only had piggy 7B, people were writing actually decent cards. The moment we got access to 8k+ context people stopped giving a dam and just copy paste description from wiki. No one cares if your assistant card is an absolute slop. Models got good enough to carry it and create some wild shit from it.

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Need another reason to switch to Linux? Just look at the new absolutely brilliant piece of spyware they are adding to Windows 11 (if it didn't have enough). With their new AI they will be literally recording your screen, keylogging you, and passing any of this data that they wish to their cloud, isn't that dandy?

This shit is creepy asf, I've left Linux alone for awhile due to the ease and comfort of Windows but despite the prior warnings I should've followed this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me to leave Windows. So uh, if you know many good Linux distros then please hit me up, as long as its not totally annoying to use it should be fine for my use as damn Windows gets creepier by the day...

I like KDE Neon.
I also liked Copilot's responses compared to any other ChatGPT or conversational AI alternative like Bard/Gemini.
I still keep Windows to play games that don't run on Steam's Proton. But these live-service updates to most of 'em keep turning me towards uninstalling completely.
KDE Neon has probably given me the least issues of any Linux distro, and that's why it's my daily driver on both my tower and thinkpad.
As always, I'll tell you to educate yourself before doing anything that forces you to reevaluate your computer literacy.

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.