Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Serious Criticisms of the Bay & How We Can Improve

Dwayne

Le Presidente della Mariana Bay
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Criticisms of the Bay and How We Can Improve

Morning all, I made this post to go over the main criticisms our forum gets and how we can improve going forward so this site can be even better going forward. 2024 approaches soon and by April time this forum will be over a year which is crazy to say and as we do go on onward I want to look back on some of the main criticisms our site has received, from inside and outside the forum, and how we can work from that so our website can be even better to use. So, let's begin:

1) The Mariana Bay isn't original/ a copy of [Insert site here]

A very common criticism this site receives is that it's too similar to other forums. While some of this is bit unfair, especially since many Xenforo forums use the same addons and plug-ins, and what have you, this criticism does have a bit of a basis to it. There's no doubt this forum is inspired by another forums and borrows elements that I liked from them, though I've obviously added my own stuff as well, however though I definitely feel Mariana Bay is it's our distinct entity with its own forum culture and etc, I feel there definitely needs to be more to make us different, hence I propose these following things to help separating us from any potential contemporaries -

a) New UI Tbh our current styling has a very mixed reception, some love it and others detest, but ultimately it needs a makeover to make itself more unique and distinct in the online forum space. What we could do I don't know but we should definitely look into it going into the new year. Don't worry if you like the current styling btw as it will always be a selectable option if you want to use it.

b) Ditch the Mariana Chan idea I know we have worked on it for awhile but we should have a more unique mascot idea if we want to set ourselves apart so I propose we come up with something new and use that as our promotional mascot as while anime waifu characters are more marketable, they have been done to death and something else should be pursued.

C) Bring more to the table that makes us unique What could we offer that other online spaces can't and that can set us apart? It's worth a thought.

2) We need a better idea of what direction we are gonna take the forum and make it better than alternatives

Tedposter brought this up ages ago and it's a very valid criticism despite what you may think. When I made this place I really didn't know what I was doing and only made it as some friends told me to pursue and thought it would be a good time so I did and so far it's been going well, but in the long term where do I really want to take this site? What is going to be the selling point to this site and how will we make it interesting enough to gather users into the long-term, and make it a place that's worth hanging about? Many forums do face crossroads like this and go through periods where they have to think on how they are going to attract people to their forums and make them marketable, especially when server costs threaten its existence, so our general direction is worth contemplating on and any ideas feel free to shoot.

3) Mariana Bay is le toxic

I've heard this one from all corners but yeah some people are easily put off by the blunt and no bullshit given takes user give on here and our general leniency towards such users. I'll say right now I don't want to change this and think a myriad of unique users is what will help keep this place fresh and interesting, however I still want to develop a userbase that is chill, laid back and friendly so I think it's about finding that middle ground that is essential. What will we let flourish in our culture and what will we not? We need to make this place welcoming to join but not impeach on anyone's speech unless they are fedposting or something dumb like that.

4) Make a SFW option for the site.

An issue brought up by @Malice, in what states we need some sort of styling options so this place is more easily read in places that aren't at home. Maybe styling that censors certain words and blocks images is worth looking into? I know Kiwifarms has a styling like this and I think it's worthwhile looking into to make this site more accessible for those on compromised networks.

---
I'm out rn but will write down other ideas on how we can improve later but yeah genuinely these are worth thinking on if we want this forum to have a positive and long future. I'm glad we have come this far so thanks to those who have stuck around, believe in what I'm doing, and done what they can to help support the MarianaBay, wherever it be sharing the site, posting, creating content for it, etc, your support is much obliged.

Tedposter

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

@Khastle Is all this shit about the fact that agora road talked about us? Why do you fucking care?

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

@Khastle Is all this shit about the fact that agora road talked about us? Why do you fucking care?
Lol nah been wanting to make this for awhile, even mentioned you above. I've just gathered some critical feedback I've received and in what ways it could be helpful for this forum's growth. Agora and us will never see eye to eye, I know that don't worry, but same time even they have given some blunt criticism that is worth reflecting on also.

Tedposter

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Lol nah been wanting to make this for awhile, even mentioned you above. I've just gathered some critical feedback I've received and in what ways it could be helpful for this forum's growth. Agora will always look down on us, I know that don't worry, but same time even they have given some blunt criticism that is worth reflecting on also.
I see. So its just a big coincidence that you decided to make this thread after agora road talked about us

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I see. So its just a big coincidence that you decided to make this thread after agora road talked about us
Why does it matter when or when I do not make threads like this? Observations like this are helpful going forwards and from there we grow, there's nothing wrong with reviewing this over.

Tedposter

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Why does it matter when or when I do not make threads like this? Observations like this are helpful going forwards and from there we grow, there's nothing wrong with reviewing this over.
What its have to review anyway? This forun was always a agora road copypaste but without those faggots users. Its fine the way it is, just need more members and more discussions towards music making (vaporwave, breakcore, or any other shit like that)

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

What its have to review anyway? This forun was always a agora road copypaste but without those faggots users. Its fine the way it is, just need more members and more discussions towards music making (vaporwave, breakcore, or any other shit like that)
But no my point is I don't want this place to be seen as "Agora Road 2". I want it to eventually be unique enough that it fulfills its own niche and is something new yknow?

nagolpeso

Gringo Crackhead
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

But no my point is I don't want this place to be seen as "Agora Road 2". I want it to eventually be unique enough that it fulfills its own niche and is something new yknow?

Don't scam nigerians with bitcoins and you'll be good. Also don't ban me for posting top tier content.

Punished_Senko

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

@Khastle , You asked how you can improve
Step 1: Make a toggle for these special effects you love to slather all over the site because they drive me nuts, just make a toggle for the snow/bats/whatever other effects you will add in the future. Make a toggle and put in next to the background picker, and make it save your preference permanently.

All good websites have one consistent look that dosen't change based on what time of year it is, it would greatly improve site quality if you stuck to that principle.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

@Khastle , You asked how you can improve
Step 1: Make a toggle for these special effects you love to slather all over the site because they drive me nuts, just make a toggle for the snow/bats/whatever other effects you will add in the future. Make a toggle and put in next to the background picker, and make it save your preference permanently.

All good websites have one consistent look that dosen't change based on what time of year it is, it would greatly improve site quality if you stuck to that principle.
Hey man, that's something I'll definitely look into as while some users like it same time I can understand it can be annoying for some, thanks for this!

nagolpeso

Gringo Crackhead
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

The special effects are pretty lame anyway. Should just remove them. People that celebrate pagan holidays are gya and british.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

The special effects are pretty lame anyway. Should just remove them. People that celebrate pagan holidays are gya and british.
20231203_084042.jpg

nagolpeso

Gringo Crackhead
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Christmas is pagan gya, they put balls on their shaft tree.

---

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Jeremiah 10

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Christmas is pagan gya, they put balls on their shaft tree.

---

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Jeremiah 10

88v5bt.jpg

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.