Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Announcement Mariana Bay's 2024 Plan

Dwayne

Le Presidente della Mariana Bay
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Direction for the Forum in 2024
icegif-4383.gif

Hello users of the Mariana, 2023 has been an interesting year for this forum huh? We have had loads of great discussions, reached over 100 members which I didn't expect so soon but here we are, and reached daily activity on here which is awesome to see. Overall what was created as an ambitious project on creating a forum that wasn't ran by pretentious jannies or hosted on a shitty app such as a Discord has been a success so far and I'm grateful for those who have contributed so far to make this so. As we are approaching 2024 I want to go into plans for the site that will change and hopefully improve the site for the better so this place is better to use than ever before.

Change in Forum's Main Topic
Some may hate me for this but I'm slightly changing this forum's main topic again, but I promise you this will (most likely) be for the last time. I'm sorry but literally no one here comes here for the DnB or Breakcore or whatever discussion, it's not where I want to center the main discussions for this site especially when the board for it is barely used. I still want to keep the music theme but for now the plan is this becoming a glorified /mu/, Tune Town will become the main music discussion board while I'll also have a two separate boards for the category being an Artist and Music Production board and a Music Tech & Archival board. Not only that but I will even look into mp3 support too so you'll also be able to share your favourite tracks directly to the site! Obviously want to ask all your opinions before I add this to the site and also I need to look into that music feature for user profiles also.

Change in Forum's Layout
I know people know this is coming but sometime next year the Mariana Bay will receive a site makeover to make this place look more professional and useable to new users. New backgrounds, colors, font upgrades, etc, you can expect more of this as we work to make this place more aesthetically pleasing. Now the OG design will be kept and there for those who wish to use it in the future but eventually the updated design will become the main one and will hopefully make this forum more aesthetically pleasing. So far the idea is a cyberpunk, spacey pirate design but open to other suggestions too as I want to make the redesign as awesome as possible.

Member Only Boards
Something that has been suggested and wanted is the introduction of a board which only registered members can see so we can have more private conversations on here. I like this idea and see it as handy, especially if you want to get to vent and get something off your chest yet don't want the whole world to see, so I've been considering new two boards to accomodate to these needs:

(Names not final)

V.I.P. Lounge - This will essentially act as a General Discussion 2 and you'll be able to talk about pretty much anything that comes to mind but more privately, which is good if you want a space to chat without outsiders peeping in, and I'll pretty much add every prefix to the board too so if you want to talk about something more gaming related, for an example, you'll be able to do that too. See it as a more premium and personal General Discussion.

The Gutter (Off-Topic) Board - In the last month unfortunately we have had a few threads that have pushed the limit on what's allowed on here and while I do not want to censor or not allow these threads, I feel it's best they have their own space so more higher quality quality and well-thoughtout threads have space to thrive. Threads in here will be different from those in the V.I.P. Lounge as in not only will they not be visible to the public but any new activity on them will not appear on Latest Posts, you will have to have search for them or have been present on those threads in the first place to get updates about them. Threads that are generally shitposty in nature will be sent here too alongsider low-quality threads and hopefully this will help encourage better threads to be made, and clean up the forum a bit while also giving a space for people to fuck around and not take posting as seriously, so yes threads like "Thug Hunters General" and "Dwayne is a doodoohead" will be allowed in here. Due to the anarchistic nature of the board I may even allow webms but I'll think on it due to obvious moderation concerns and storage space.

Forum Host Migration
This is a big one and you will be made aware when this happens but pretty much I plan on moving this forum away from Xenforo Cloud onto it's own server, and this is for multiple reasons: first off to save money as Xenforo price gorge you for the server and storage you get, and I feel I can more for my buck, and secondaly I'll be able to do more for this site when this forum is on it's own server in which I have more control of. Not only that but I'll be able to host from better countries too which is great as this will not only approve forum load speeds but improve user privacy too as certain countries are just way better in terms of data protection laws which will make them ideal to host on eventually.

-----
That's pretty all for the major changes I have for the forum going into the new year, any other suggestions or ideas be sure to drop below but overall I have great things planned for you fellas and hopefully this time next year this forum will be even more awesome than it already is, we'll see. Thanks to everyone for their support of the forum this year and I look forward to spending the next with you all on here as we work hard to make this place the best community possible.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

instead of media upload how about media embed (webm, mp4, etc) you can only embed images
Hmmm, I swear we can already embed stuff like YouTube videos and etc no? I'll look into this as it would definitely save us storage space if webms and what not were hosted elsewhere.

AshenMan

Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.deviantart.com
LV

Hmmm, I swear we can already embed stuff like YouTube videos and etc no? I'll look into this as it would definitely save us storage space if webms and what not were hosted elsewhere.
Youtube videos aren't a file format tho...

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Youtube videos aren't a file format tho...
Damn true, will look into this as it should be in the options.

Also embedded Webms and mp4s will only be allowed in the quarantine board. I want MP3s to exclusive to the music boards.

Punished_Senko

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

The first 100 members should all get a "mariana oldfag" badge.
I still want to keep the music theme but for now the plan is this becoming a glorified /mu/
Get real, this site is already basically 4ch but much smaller and everyone is a namefag.
If tune town is gonna become our /mu/ then consider adding the mariana version of other boards as well.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

The first 100 members should all get a "mariana oldfag" badge.
We already have that, it's the pickaxe "Pioneer" badge
Get real, this site is already basically 4ch but much smaller and everyone is a namefag.
If tune town is gonna become our /mu/ then consider adding the mariana version of other boards as well.
I want to keep the music theme of the forum though as I'm a music collector and am genuinely passionate about collecting and preserving rare music and audio. We don't need a million boards as we are too small to justify it and frankly many will be ghost towns and mostly unused, not to mention the prefixes help you find threads that would interest you. Like we literally had multiple different boards for anime, tv, film, etc, and frankly the Entertainnent and Hobbies board helped condense a lot of that, the only new boards I'll be adding is the music artists and production, technology and archival, and the two private boards as I feel it will be good to have.

Last edited:

Malice

サイバーランドの悪意
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

glorified /mu/
Oh god please don't allow Kpop or heavily contain it. /mu/ started sucking massive elephant balls when 3-4 different Kpop general threads started being the only thing you see at the top of the board catalogue.

Dwayne

Le Presidente della Mariana Bay
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Oh god please don't allow Kpop or heavily contain it. /mu/ started sucking massive elephant balls when 3-4 different Kpop general threads started being the only thing you see at the top of the board catalogue.
Dw I merge threads if they typically revolve around the same subject.

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.