Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Anime & Manga Serial Experiments Lain Is Our Present Time

I did this deep dive video essay/documentary on Serial Experiements Lain a couple years back. It's been pretty positively received, so I figured I'd share it here. The video itself goes pretty indepth and I wouldn't be able to do a good summary of it. But it's just as the title says, it's an analysis of how Lain accurately predicted where the world was heading as well as being an investigation regarding what it was responding to at the time.

Dema

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Just watched it and I really liked it, to be honest I would have liked if you talked about the addictive/ dependency aspect, but I loved the documentary either way. Also would like to add that in your closing sentence you said that we will live in the world decided/created by computers and A.I and not the other way. I guess nowadays you could even argue that that is already the truth, we can see it on how trends and what gets popular/pushed is chosen a lot of the time in a synthetic way E.g. any of the algorithms used by the different social media. Overall it was a great listen and 1000x more enjoyable than the average regurgitated Lain youtube video.
1696181688648033.gif
Also, months after your video came out, in 2021, Konaka Chiaki was literally cancelled for some dumb shit on twitter if I remember correctly, it would have been perfect to add it during that part of your video.

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Just watched it and I really liked it, to be honest I would have liked if you talked about the addictive/ dependency aspect, but I loved the documentary either way. Also would like to add that in your closing sentence you said that we will live in the world decided/created by computers and A.I and not the other way. I guess nowadays you could even argue that that is already the truth, we can see it on how trends and what gets popular/pushed is chosen a lot of the time in a synthetic way E.g. any of the algorithms used by the different social media. Overall it was a great listen and 1000x more enjoyable than the average regurgitated Lain youtube video.
View attachment 2477
Also, months after your video came out, in 2021, Konaka Chiaki was literally cancelled for some dumb shit on twitter if I remember correctly, it would have been perfect to add it during that part of your video.

It's originally from /x/, so take it with a gain of salt. But despite that, there's definitely some interesting stuff mentioned in this thread about 'Digital Demons' (personally I rec this vid over the archived thread as the AI voices and music add a nice touch). But definitely it's scary how much content online dependents solely on whether an algorithm decides to promote it or not. On top of that search features on sites like YouTube and Google are horrible now. Not 4 videos down on any given topic you search up on YouTube and you'll be bombarded with what's recommended rather than what you searched for. Everything we see on major social media sites is purely at the mercy of a disguised algorithm.

The incident with Konaka Chiaki is just crazy and I just wish I could have time traveled or something to include it. If I recall correctly, he wrote something that criticized political correctness and cancel culture and then got cancelled for it. Truly clown world at its peak.

And btw, happy to hear you liked the video!

Dema

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

/x/ has some nice stuff, but sadly lately the line between meme and serious threads has dwindled so I don't frequent it as much. Will listen to the yt vid though.
nw4ipaj4q0wa1.jpg

SEVEN

Troubador
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
neoseven.neocities.org
LV

/x/ has some nice stuff, but sadly lately the line between meme and serious threads has dwindled so I don't frequent it as much. Will listen to the yt vid though.
View attachment 2506
okay it is a bit schizo of me but isn't it strange how all our tech resembles occultic symbolism? circuitry looks like demon sigils and we literally cary around black mirrors (considered extremely powerful portals into the spirit realm in ancient times and now are just modern screens) in our pockets and keep them in our homes.

I am not saying it is necessarily demonic in nature because I don't really believe in a lot of that stuff, but the symbolism is definitely there and I think there is something to that.

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.