Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Music Tech Walkmans & Cassette Culture

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Walkmans & Cassette Culture
ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif
I thought it was almost criminal that I own a music forum and I didn't have a thread dedicated to the walkman and cassette technology in general so I decided to make one.

Share the casette players you own in this thread and even the cassettes you've collected over the years. Here's my personal cassette collection as of the date posting this:

20230805_113655.jpg

Fisherman Jim

The Man with the Large Rod
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

What sucks about cassettes is that they get worn out over time
They last thirdy years, at least most do around that time but like vinyl can survive longer with the right love and care. Found this article on how to look after cassettes properly: https://legacybox.com/blogs/analog/how-long-do-cassette-tapes-last

Looks to me you just need to store them properly, rewind after use due to exposed parts of the tape, and play them now and then to prevent the tape sticking together ayup.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

New Walkman came through the post, very nice and works great; seller even cleaned it up and added a new belt so it should work great for many a year
20230808_124104.jpg

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Walkmans & Cassette Culture
View attachment 1275
I thought it was almost criminal that I own a music forum and I didn't have a thread dedicated to the walkman and cassette technology in general so I decided to make one.

Share the casette players you own in this thread and even the cassettes you've collected over the years. Here's my personal cassette collection as of the date posting this:

View attachment 1277
ive been unironically thinking about getting a walkman and start using casettes

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

ive been unironically thinking about getting a walkman and start using casettes
Cassettes are awesome and are fun to collect, not only that but they are brilliant for music archival and archival in general as magnetic tape, as long as it is kept properly, can last for years. I inherited really old tapes from my grandmother, dating back as late as the 1970s, that still hold up and play to this day, though mind you in varied condition as they were collecting dust and sitting around for all that time. In fact magnetic tape is so good for storing data that many tech firms are now using it again to store vast arrays of data due to how well it holds up as HDDs, SSDS, etc, only last up to ten years for which then you need to move the data to prevent data loss while electrical tape you can kinda leave there and it will hold up way longer.

The only reason it's not really used anymore in the mainstream is because electrical tape can be very fragile, inconvenient if it plays up, and can take up loads of space for large amounts of data which isn't suitable for your average consumer hence it's fallen out of favour with the general public, but it's a great medium for archival and storage nevertheless.

Btw if you do get a Walkman DO NOT get a new one, get a refurbed 90s Sony Walkman or something as quality cassette players aren't made anymore as the ones that are made are shitty Chinese ones which will eat your tapes and should only be used if you want to digitize your old tapes or something as many do come with that feature.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

This is my tiny "collection" so far. xD
View attachment 3804

Nice Jungle Fatigue cassette. ^^ Love that mix.
Very nice, I'm sure it will grow to an great size one day don't you worry. Also thank you, definitely should pick up on cassette if you still can, it's an awesome mix indeed.

XieXie

Amen Heartbreaker
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I've been gradually adding to my collection. There are a few more cassettes coming in the mail, but they're taking too long so here is just what I have so far.

cassettes2.jpg

Also, I got a very pretty Walkman to upgrade from the cheap player I had before. (I'm conflicted in taking the sticker off for some reason xD)

The cassette at the bottom of that picture is one that the seller of my Walkman offered to record for me since I liked the music that was playing in the demo video for the player.

walkman.jpg

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.