Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Gaming OneShot and Margin of the Strange

clover

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

OneShot and Margin of the Strange Thread!

Hello fellow Mariana Gamers. With the recent release of a trailer for Margin of the Strange, a game being produced by the same people who made OneShot, I thought I'd make a small thread for anyone who happened to enjoy that series and wishes to discuss it here.
kxlq1rkly0q91.png
If you are unfamiliar with the games. OneShot is an indie RPG maker game which was a little popular back in 2016 for featuring some unique puzzles with solutions that dipped into the files of your computer. It's a short, sweet game with a decent soundtrack and nice art style that can, as the title suggests, be played in one shot.

Margin of the Strange was just recently announced with a kickstarter backing, it looks to be set as a similar RPG maker game with some overlapping themes, but not much else has been mentioned yet.

Trailer for Margin of the Strange:

Steam page for OneShot here.
(It's also on Switch, PS4, and XBox One as well.)
6da02967edf84af92e947204d5795d87b102fde9.png

And no, despite what the design of the main character might suggest, it's not a furry game or whatever. (Most of the characters are robots and humans at any rate)

V

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

Looks interesting but personally I don’t like the graphics and the fact that it’s short I do like coop puzzles though and The Room series

clover

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Looks interesting but personally I don’t like the graphics and the fact that it’s short I do like coop puzzles though or The Room series

To each their own, I'm a firm enjoyer of the pixel RPG genre, western and jRPG. I do like the ones that take a more novel approach to combat (IE: bullet hell as in Undertale) or the ones with puzzles (as in this one) over the straight traditional turn based stuff - but those have their own ups as well.

As to OneShot itself, the vibes are probably my favorite bit, it has the whole "small person lost in a strange world" thing going for it, but the lore and atmosphere itself is a strangely pleasant mix of melancholic and surreal.
tumblr_3a15ab246f1e5b9b00f8885a1a014929_8566bfc0_400.jpg

I do agree that it is a little too short, but even at 12ish hours (including the DLC content) it's still somehow managed to remain an endearing game to me this far since its release. At the very least, it doesn't overstay its welcome.

V

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

To each their own, I'm a firm enjoyer of the pixel RPG genre, western and jRPG. I do like the ones that take a more novel approach to combat (IE: bullet hell as in Undertale) or the ones with puzzles (as in this one) over the straight traditional turn based stuff - but those have their own ups as well.

As to OneShot itself, the vibes are probably my favorite bit, it has the whole "small person lost in a strange world" thing going for it, but the lore and atmosphere itself is a strangely pleasant mix of melancholic and surreal.
View attachment 5621

I do agree that it is a little too short, but even at 12ish hours (including the DLC content) it's still somehow managed to remain an endearing game to me this far since its release. At the very least, it doesn't overstay its welcome.

One thing I gotta give them credit for is the soundtrack it's actually kinda nice to listen to whenever you need to take a brake
I also like pixelated games but they're hard to come by nowadays perhaps I'm not looking in the right place

CyberScribe

In the Mainframe
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Cool, I remember playing OneShot when it came out. It perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being lost in a strange world, great OST too.
Looks great but the amount of games coming out now is staggering, especially pixel-art indie games. I wonder what'll separate them from the curve.
Katana Zero has to be my favourite pixel-indie although it's got a completely different gameplay flow yknow.

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.