Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Artist Obscure Artists

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

They're literally anonymous.
Found this through gondola threads on the chan years ago. If you like night driving or dying, or both, you'll like this.

good find man. these songs seem like a good way to wind down or to have in the background and relax

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Yeah. For all those comfy gondola threads on 4chan that uses video game/anime music, sometimes gems of originality pop out.
yep. youre bound to find a gem sifting through the molds every once in a while.

its how i found out about this website too lol. a video ad was placed on some /wsg/ thread and i decided to type out the URL and now here i am

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

A beautiful album with a sad backstory. Posting here so I don't lose it again as it can be hard to come across, Instagram user t.archivist really helped it be known to world.

"These are the recordings of a young Japanese teen by the name of Nobue Kawana.Living in coastal Japan she romanticized her own life- by writing songs about her love for the sea, and love itself.Her childhood best friend, Keiko Saitou, recounts: “I met her first when I was 16. I would go over to her house all the time to sing and record music onto cassette tapes. She had perfect pitch and could play any instrument she touched- violin, guitar, and composition as well. I would harmonize with her, and play piano, as well as help with lyrics. My parents greatly disapproved of our friendship, they would scold me for not applying my every second to my studies. But I still spent much of my time practicing my abilities in songwriting and going over to her house to play. She was fashionable and influential to her friends in a positive sense. Despite a sickness that had wrecked her health since early teenhood. On her 19th birthday, in 1974, she passed away. I independently attempted to have a physical LP of her music released, and in 1975, it was done. With the help of a male mutual friend who told her life story in segments sandwiched between the tracks. These copies were given to our friend group as almost a parting gift for us all. I still think about how every day, after school, I would visit her in her room as she was always sick in bed because of the untreatable cancer. We sang of love, sickness, and a longing for the sea.”In 2013 the rare album was re-issued by Branco Label on cd, with two extra tracks (there is most likely a lot more unreleased tapes).Hopefully, if enough feedback is given to the label a vinyl re-issue could be made. But only with your help.You can buy the cd at BRANCO LABEL ブランコレーベル (fc2.com)You can email the label at branco_label@yahoo.co.jp" - @fintanmathewes55871/t.archivist

bloodmage

pinball wizard
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

im not sure how underground this person is actually but afaik this isnt a mainstream release so i thought maybe some of you would be interested.

some barber beats type instrumental stuff i found recently. i like the album, its nice background music and isnt boring nor does every track sound like the same track repeated throughout the album imo (which ive found commonly throughout albums similar to this).. very good listen

jnoj

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

im not sure how underground this person is actually but afaik this isnt a mainstream release so i thought maybe some of you would be interested.

some barber beats type instrumental stuff i found recently. i like the album, its nice background music and isnt boring nor does every track sound like the same track repeated throughout the album imo (which ive found commonly throughout albums similar to this).. very good listen

We fat chillin' to this one tonight boyo

bloodmage

pinball wizard
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

ambience drone(?) album (i do not know what the exact genre of this is honestly?)

apparently some people classify this album as "dreampunk" but this is my first time hearing of the genre, vaporwave/cyberpunk origins afaik.
all things aside, this album sounds pretty good to me right now but this may be a boring listen for someone else, including me being able to see myself at a later time being bored by this album. ( but also take my opinion with a grain of salt as i am not sober ) .. all in all, thought it was worth sharing.

XieXie

Amen Heartbreaker
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

ambience drone(?) album (i do not know what the exact genre of this is honestly?)

apparently some people classify this album as "dreampunk" but this is my first time hearing of the genre, vaporwave/cyberpunk origins afaik.
all things aside, this album sounds pretty good to me right now but this may be a boring listen for someone else, including me being able to see myself at a later time being bored by this album. ( but also take my opinion with a grain of salt as i am not sober ) .. all in all, thought it was worth sharing.

I have a few dreampunk albums in my physical collection. This is probably the most ambient take I've heard on the genre though. I like it. ^^

XieXie

Amen Heartbreaker
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Here's a rare album that was shared on a private forum.

NjllYti(2).jpg

Kato - Kato (1999)​

The OP gave some context about the CD which is quoted in this archive page with the ripped files and the images.
some backstory: my dad used to work at a cd shop when he was younger and amassed a pretty big cd collection, recently due to some circumstances i got handed down the more than 300 cd collection he had. since this is poland i'm talking about most of the cd's are of polish origin with also a lot of iron maiden, guano apes etc. this cd though i can't find any information about, it's just labeled "kato" with no catalogue number, no barcodes and a very simple tracklisting. it lists a site called www.katomusic.com, but it's down. visiting the wayback machine and clicking on 2002/2003 does give me some clues though:

KATO was formed in 1995 on Whidbey Island, Washington State, USA. The band members are (from left to right) Guillaume Marceau (guitar and Vocals) Shannnon McKinnon (drums) and Dbar (bass and vocals). Their debut album, KATO, was recorded in Switzerland and is now available at amazon.com.

KATO's style is an eclectic mix of pop, jazz and metal they call "Crack Jazz".

They will be touring Northwest America in the spring. For a full tour itinerary see news.

A sample track, "b", is available now in sreaming audio, or to download in MP3 format.

other than this entry on the wayback machine there seems to be nothing about this cd on the internet, i'm gonna link some imgur images below, i really want to know more about this thing.

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

View attachment 4824

Kato - Kato (1999)​

The OP gave some context about the CD which is quoted in this archive page with the ripped files and the images.

cases like these are the reason why i am so pro archiving no matter what. how many countless movies, tv shows, cartoons, anime, anything has been lost to history all because people couldn't archive it for future generations, or simply couldn't be bothered to try to archive them?

there is a band that i am heavily into but i am unable to find their stuff anywhere. their music? they don't sell it online. the websites? none of them have said album i want. the only way i was able to find what i wanted was through go through pirating methods as it is literally unavailable anywhere else. shit is so fucking stupid and moronic.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

View attachment 4824

Kato - Kato (1999)​

Oh shit, thanks for posting this album, in a sucker for elusive and unknown albums like this. Is it uploaded to YouTube by chance and if not and there's no copyright should I upload it to the forums youtube to help it be known? I may upload a song from it to the site so help preserve one of them.

XieXie

Amen Heartbreaker
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Oh shit, thanks for posting this album, in a sucker for elusive and unknown albums like this. Is it uploaded to YouTube by chance and if not and there's no copyright should I upload it to the forums youtube to help it be known? I may upload a song from it to the site so help preserve one of them.
Yeah I think that's a good idea if you wanted to upload it to the forum's Youtube! The record label listed on the CD "stackfire records" doesn't even come up with anything on a web search, so it doesn't seem like there would be any copyright problems. I was considering uploading it to Youtube myself so people didn't have to go to the archive page to listen, since that is the only public place I know it's been uploaded to. But I didn't know the archive link would turn into a music player in the post, so I didn't have to.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Yeah I think that's a good idea if you wanted to upload it to the forum's Youtube! The record label listed on the CD "stackfire records" doesn't even come up with anything on a web search, so it doesn't seem like there would be any copyright problems.
Awesome, I'll look into it then to help spread awareness to it for new audiences and maybe people may come along to comment extra on what they know about the album.
But I didn't know the archive link would turn into a music player in the post, so I didn't have to.
Yeah ngl this forum does some funky embed stuff in which I don't know why it does so but not complaining about the cool player from me

XieXie

Amen Heartbreaker
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Although at least this first tape has a few pretty decent tracks, these aren't necessarily something I wanted to recommend or anything, I just thought the story and rarity was interesting and worth sharing.

From the Youtube video description:

"Extremely rare tape produced by the Indonesian branch of the notorious Children of God/The Family International cult, as part of their efforts to recruit young Christian adults in the 18-25 year old range. Recorded in charming lo-fi quality out of their South Jakarta studio (financed by the main COG branch), the music speak of love, peace, and freedom, presented like an hour-long radio show, with a call at the end of each side to write to their office at PO Box 68, Kebayoran, South Jakarta, should you like the music and would like to convene with "fellow music lovers."

The music ranges from cookie-cutter pop ballads to actually decent (acid?) folk. No mention of anything religious was in the tape, disguising its true nature as a recruitment tool for a cult. Additionally, it appears that the writers and singers in the album were not even members of COG, but non-members recruited solely to produce the tape.

Only 55 copies of the tape were ever produced, and presumably few survive today as the Indonesian branch was embroiled in sexual abuse controversy in the late 80s (resulting in their disbanding) and ex-members were ordered to destroy copies of the tape as a pre-requisite of re-entering their denominations they were in prior to joining COG."

Fajar Menyingsing.jpg

Full album playlist link.

I also found another tape released by the Indonesian branch of the cult in December of the same year as their previous (1983) which is a Christmas album. The only extra information I could find about it is that this tape includes a mix of songs by Indonesian, American, and French Children of God members, and contains some tracks previously appearing on a French sung version of an LP produced by the cult's California based musical group in 1977. I looked around briefly for a recording of this LP on Youtube but couldn't find one, although there are plenty of the vinyls on the market if someone really wanted to hear it. Anyway, this tape is also extremely rare with most copies being presumed destroyed for the same reason as the first tape.

Selamat Hari Natal.jpg

jotnarr

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

is arany zoltan obscure? he does a lot of old folk music & the like

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Although at least this first tape has a few pretty decent tracks, these aren't necessarily something I wanted to recommend or anything, I just thought the story and rarity was interesting and worth sharing.

From the Youtube video description:

"Extremely rare tape produced by the Indonesian branch of the notorious Children of God/The Family International cult, as part of their efforts to recruit young Christian adults in the 18-25 year old range. Recorded in charming lo-fi quality out of their South Jakarta studio (financed by the main COG branch), the music speak of love, peace, and freedom, presented like an hour-long radio show, with a call at the end of each side to write to their office at PO Box 68, Kebayoran, South Jakarta, should you like the music and would like to convene with "fellow music lovers."

The music ranges from cookie-cutter pop ballads to actually decent (acid?) folk. No mention of anything religious was in the tape, disguising its true nature as a recruitment tool for a cult. Additionally, it appears that the writers and singers in the album were not even members of COG, but non-members recruited solely to produce the tape.

Only 55 copies of the tape were ever produced, and presumably few survive today as the Indonesian branch was embroiled in sexual abuse controversy in the late 80s (resulting in their disbanding) and ex-members were ordered to destroy copies of the tape as a pre-requisite of re-entering their denominations they were in prior to joining COG."

View attachment 4832

I also found another tape released by the Indonesian branch of the cult in December of the same year as their previous (1983) which is a Christmas album. The only extra information I could find about it is that this tape includes a mix of songs by Indonesian, American, and French Children of God members, and contains some tracks previously appearing on a French sung version of an LP produced by the cult's California based musical group in 1977. I looked around briefly for a recording of this LP on Youtube but couldn't find one, although there are plenty of the vinyls on the market if someone really wanted to hear it. Anyway, this tape is also extremely rare with most copies being presumed destroyed for the same reason as the first tape.

View attachment 4833

I wasn't even aware Indonesida had a radical Christian problem in the 1980s, will have to research into that. Fascinating find!

bloodmage

pinball wizard
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

japanese citypop(? it may just be pop i dont listen to alot of citypop so im not too sure, sorry!) album i found searching through the depths of music trying to find good vaporwave, im about halfway through the album right now and i like it alot even though im not super into citypop. thought it would be worth sharing here!

all reuploads of this album ive found are said to be relatively recent too which is a bit strange to me seeing as this album is from 1984 or so as far as im aware.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I think I've spoke about Nanoray and liking their stuff before but after two years there has actually been a new release of one of their albums: TILT. Thought I'd share as their stuff is quite hard to come by and they are obscure enough to belong in this thread

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.