Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Gaming Metin1 help needed

Daryl

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

Metin(1) is a game that was released in 1998 by some Korean company named Ymir Entertainment (https://www.metin.co.kr/) that later made the game known as Metin2, and whatnot.

My question is, does anyone know how to reverse engineer, or people that know how to reverse engineer? I need some help in making some server files support newer versions of the game. Basically, I just want to change the language from Korean to English, but the English client has the version v0.9.3, while the server files require version v0.9.2.(I got both 0.9.3 and 0.9.2 clients) The server files and client will be sent by me since you can barely find it on western websites, and it's an extremely poorly documented game, at least here in Europe, NA, and so on. I have managed to get the server working as well as logging in.
(If for some reason people are interested in playing, I actually have no idea how to make accounts since I logged in as GM lmfao.)
imagee.png

-- Documentation
Some of the files in the "pack" folder are actually just .wav files so you can just change the extension in order to listen to them if wanted
Some files from the "pack" folder can be renamed to .tar extracted with the tar_unpacker you will end up with .spr, .frm and .asd files
The .tar files can be unpacked with this script:
The .dds files are somehow encrypted and cannot be opened with PS or other apps

Last edited:

Daryl

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

How's it different from Runescape and such, and what's the appeal to play it now?
Well I played metin2 since I was little (Stopped for a long time now) and for the longest time here in europe people didn't even know that metin1 existed(it was a literal myth) the appeal is that I'm very interested in how the game plays + the old graphics and such the thing is I want this to be archived in the west as well if people will ever want to play this game

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Well I played metin2 since I was little (Stopped for a long time now) and for the longest time here in europe people didn't even know that metin1 existed(it was a literal myth) the appeal is that I'm very interested in how the game plays + the old graphics and such the thing is I want this to be archived in the west as well if people will ever want to play this game
Fair enough, game preservation is awesome and if you can find a community who have also made an effort to preserve it and start their own private servers then that's even better. Maybe ask around places like the Lost Media Wiki or etc, surely someone has the files and other knowledge how to bring it all back online.

Daryl

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

Fair enough, game preservation is awesome and if you can find a community who have also made an effort to preserve it and start their own private servers then that's even better. Maybe ask around places like the Lost Media Wiki or etc, surely someone has the files and other knowledge how to bring it all back online.
Idk if people are willing to help with that lol since I just want to translate the client

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Idk if people are willing to help with that lol since I just want to translate the client
Do you know if it was ever even released in English or was it just for certain European markets? Would you need the Romanian client for even any translation to take place?

Daryl

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

Do you know if it was ever even released in English or was it just for certain European markets? Would you need the Romanian client for even any translation to take place?
The client was released in europe with english translations v0.9.3 however the server files require version 0.9.2 in order to connect so I got two options:
1. Either modify the server files to accept connection from 0.9.3
2. Translate the client with voodoo magic :)

-- the client version 0.9.2 is only in korean/chinese from what I know
-- also one of the problem is that if I were to translate the client it would take a lot more time since between 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 they have changed how the files are packaged

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

How's it different from Runescape and such, and what's the appeal to play it now?
Gonna speak on experience from metin 2, I suppose it's similar to OG game

Metin has way less grind than runescape. There's that basic "general account level" thing where farming individual skills is not so important. Characters were more locked in. You had to choose 1 from 4 classes and you were stuck with said play style for the whole game. Sure you can give a bow to a warrior, but it's just not effective as base stats and their progression is different. Also (since it's a game from Korea) it has more orient style. When it comes to structures, characters, music etc.

In metin (at least 2) it was way easier to get top gear just from playing, but then you could upgrade with some chance to burn it, aka lose it.
There was no "general exchange" or "bank" for items. Instead you had to travel to "market area" and ask around if someone has items that you want (or setup a passive store, depending if server allowed for it). Afaik inventory was just way bigger than in runescape, but it was finite

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

The client was released in europe with english translations v0.9.3 however the server files require version 0.9.2 in order to connect so I got two options:

-- the client version 0.9.2 is only in korean/chinese from what I know
-- also one of the problem is that if I were to translate the client it would take a lot more time since between 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 they have changed how the files are packaged
ngl I would go with translation of 0.9.2 client. You don't know if there were some changes in communication in 0.9.3. It would be an absolute pain with no documentation to help

Daryl

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

ngl I would go with translation of 0.9.2 client. You don't know if there were some changes in communication in 0.9.3. It would be an absolute pain with no documentation to help
Problem is I would need something to pack and unpack the files after translation

Daryl

Administrator
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vent.wtf
LV

sors I'm not gonna walk you through it.
look for into what game engine it's running on and check if there are some tools online to manipulate data from said engine
Python:
# METIN Suite II 0.9.2 TAR unpacker
# Better play this than METIN II

import sys
import os

def toint(x):
    return int.from_bytes(x, byteorder='little', signed=False)

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
    print("usage: %s [file]" % (sys.argv[0]))
    sys.exit(0)

current_tar = sys.argv[1]
f = open(current_tar, "rb")
n = toint(f.read(4))
print("tar %s files %u" % (current_tar, n))

os.mkdir(current_tar + "_unpack")

for i in range(n):
    # Header
    undecoded_filename = f.read(32)
    delpos = 0
    for k in range(len(undecoded_filename)):
        if undecoded_filename[k] == 0:
            delpos = k
            break

undecoded_filename = undecoded_filename[:delpos]
    filename = undecoded_filename.decode('cp949')
    offset = toint(f.read(4))
    size = toint(f.read(4))
    print("file %s (%u/%u) size %u offset %u" % (filename, i + 1, n, size, offset))

if size < 1:
        continue

f.seek(offset, 0)
    sf = open(current_tar + "_unpack" + "/" + filename, "wb")
    sf.write(f.read(size))
    sf.close()

f.seek(4+(i*40), 0)

Found this for the .tar files but the "pack" folder nothing

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.