Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Cartoons Ena / Webcore thread

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

(holy fuck which prefix is correct for it lmao)

It's time to bring to light (as if it wasn't popular enough) character made by 2D animator Joel G.
ENA !
EnaNormal.png
An embodiment of the early 00s internet aesthetic. The bizarre, the dazzling. With her first appearance in the animation Auction Day, she made ground for future animations and is now the first game in development.
Whole series of animations featuring her rely strongly on surprising the viewer. Doing its best not to make much sense, but still maintaining a basic coherence and a plot that's possible to follow. Popularity of this series has managed to bring back to light a music gerne of webcore. The entire soundtrack borrows heavily from this style.

The character of Ena herself is built around split. It applies to her split geometric / smooth design as well as her split personality, which manifests itself depending on the situation.
Blue side - The negative. Pessimistic, almost doomer like. Usually appears when faced with bad news / great difficulties.
Yellow side - The positive. Ena's default expression. As average, positive and slightly quirky as a personality can get. It's not a thing though. Having a main character that's always negative might be a little too relatable for the average Zoomer a bit too offputing. Not saying how hard it would be to create a plot around it.

Real quick thread, feel free to add more from yourself. If it's about Ena or webcore in general

Malice

サイバーランドの悪意
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Don't see how this is webcore, unless you're Gen Z and your idea of webcore is Tumblr during the 2010's. This reminds me of some undertale shit.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

Don't see how this is webcore, unless you're Gen Z and your idea of webcore is Tumblr during the 2010's. This reminds me of some undertale shit.
yes I'm a zoomer, how could you tell ?
Even when I wanted to look somewhat deeper into it. I could only find stuff related to ENA or mixes released within last few years. Riding on the "ena wave" and nostalgia. Do you mind giving some links to "proper webcore"?

Malice

サイバーランドの悪意
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

yes I'm a zoomer, how could you tell ?
Even when I wanted to look somewhat deeper into it. I could only find stuff related to ENA or mixes released within last few years. Riding on the "ena wave" and nostalgia. Do you mind giving some links to "proper webcore"?

I got you fren, here are a couple good places to start just off the top of my head...

https://gifcities.org/ - Not only can you find old GIFs but the images link to archives of old Angelfire and GeoCities websites. This website is ran by the Internet Archive.

https://neocities.org/ - For webcore enthusiasts who like to have their own website, I have a website here too for my artwork and for the sake of keeping my coding skills sharp. Just a warning, there is a lot of tumblr-esque activity here -- You'll find some pretty cool websites mixed in with typical tumblr faggotry.

https://www.heavensgate.com/ - If you're into Web Design, the Heaven's Gate cult website is a perfect example of old webcore aesthetics.

AshenMan

Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.deviantart.com
LV

Truth nuke. It's the kind of fake nostalgia like people that was born in 2000's who thinks that stuff in 1980's are from like 1800's have cause they've never experienced it before

Malice

サイバーランドの悪意
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Truth nuke. It's the kind of fake nostalgia like people that was born in 2000's who thinks that stuff in 1980's are from like 1800's have cause they've never experienced it before
True... but wouldn't you kids rather have the real thing instead of some fake ass Stranger Things-tier knock off of the real thing? Webcore is easy to revive, unlike the entirety of the 80's, so you don't even have to settle for someone's lame impression of it if you look in the right places.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

True... but wouldn't you kids rather have the real thing instead of some fake ass Stranger Things-tier knock off of the real thing? Webcore is easy to revive, unlike the entirety of the 80's, so you don't even have to settle for someone's lame impression of it if you look in the right places.
My only issue with the Webcore revival is the wrong kinds of people keep getting their hands on it and muddying it's image; you know the people, I know the people, and I can't stand those people shitting on every cool aesthetic.

Malice

サイバーランドの悪意
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

My only issue with the Webcore revival is the wrong kinds of people keep getting their hands on it and muddying it's image; you know the people, I know the people, and I can't stand those people shitting on every cool aesthetic.
Tell me about it... Being an artist or a patron of the arts is a total bitch because you're force to associate with... them... ugh...

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Tell me about it... Being an artist or a patron of the arts is a total bitch because you're force to associate with... them... ugh...
They are the reason why gatekeeping in modern fanbases and internet communities is so important. Unironically the Tyranids of the internet, if you give in to their ways and give them a safe space the future of your fanbase/community don't look good.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Gf got me this for Valentines, totally left field but I did introduce her to EnA tbf and mentioned this would be cool to have if we ever moved in.
Eksowkedmmdmsks.jpg
Yeah it's one of those officla Ena plushes, it's cool asf ngl.

Null

[thecyanidemandate]
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
LV

Never knew ENA had this much impact. I thought it's just someone's "uwu quirky OC" creation that's been on my recommendation for years. But I could see why Gen Z would latch on to this.

Could fit in Adult Swim, tbh.

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Gf got me this for Valentines, totally left field but I did introduce her to EnA tbf and mentioned this would be cool to have if we ever moved in.
View attachment 4288
Yeah it's one of those officla Ena plushes, it's cool asf ngl.
Jesus Christ thats gigantic. your gf got you a 5ft tall plushie to lay besides you while you sleep? lucky

i found out about ena while on newgrounds one day. saw someone drew fanart of her that was cute and then went about my day.

honestly though, im more of a Madness Combat kind of guy, although i do dabble in Friday Night Funkin and other stuff like that every once in a while

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.