Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Casual interesting things from archive.org

cultofgettingoutofcults

contradiction spotter
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
LV

i guess a "hobby" of mine is collecting information; it creates a broader scope of the way people have seen (or haven't seen) the world to aid in finding the objective reality of subjective experiences. i'm always running into weird shit. i'd imagine so are other people. there's so much on archive.org, maybe when we explore it and find something we think is worth sharing, we share it and our thoughts about it

this is from "the china mail" newspaper, saturday, april 4, 1959:

husband gave wolf whistle in his sleep - archive newspaper snippit - china mail - saturday apr...JPG

this is a story about a woman who goes to a hypnotherapist to get "cured of" and maybe even diagnosed with jealousy, when this "wolf whistle" potentially hasn't changed her sleep problems at all (it's info from the hypnotherapist to the journo, not the couple to journo). it's a story about bad medicine, bad journalism, and bad judgement on everyone's part who was involved - from the government who accepted chinese communist newspapers, to the people reading it, to the cycle of bad doctoring since god knows when, to the chick who may (or may not) have gotten upset at a sleep whistle. all except the mother fucker who was just trying to sleep lol

cultofgettingoutofcults

contradiction spotter
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
LV

this is a story
potentially
(it's info from the hypnotherapist to the journo,
the chick who may (or may not) have
the government who accepted chinese communist newspapers
there are a lot of considerations. if the newspaper can't be trusted, the whole thing may be a lie, though, the guy probably existed
1708386456226.png

and the paper probably existed
1708386513058.png
that the story was most likely printed is the main point

what did you find interesting about the article about vinalon? people have gotta be crazy to think a synthetic material that needs cotton anyway is better than the natural stuff. "Juche (self-reliance) Fiber Vinalon" lol what would be more self reliant than not needing an entire industrial building to produce your cloth stuffs

Last edited:

cultofgettingoutofcults

contradiction spotter
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
LV

true! i just noticed that despite being "china mail", it's a newspaper from hk. that would mean its main influence was britain i think. some "we owe you for 50 years then give you back to china" type bullshit. what started those "protests" a few years back

cultofgettingoutofcults

contradiction spotter
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
LV

i've been sitting here for a while trying to narrow down what a "cringe" video is. they have a high potential to illicit the desire to look away out of second-hand embarrassment, but what in us causes that embarrassment? what's to be learned about the relationship with ourselves and how we react to stimuli? in any case, this interested me

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.