Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

World News Reddit Blackout

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Not sure if many of you have heard but Reddit is having a blackout at the moment as they've started charging people to use their API which will ruin some of Reddit's most famous third party apps. Naturally people aren't happy about this so loads of popular subreddits have gone private, to a point where the site has been having issues and even crashing because its been done so suddenly for the system to deal with properly. Just another case of why mainstream social media apps are shit and why you should use alt ones, like the one you're using right now lol.

Tedposter

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Yeah I heard about it and I don't care tbh. There are billions of reddit alternatives, yet the mfs prefer to use that shithole because its "mainstream' while endless complain about censorship

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Update on the situation:

20230614_193146.png
Also Reddit admins are now disappearing the protesting jannies and replacing them with new ones instead lmao, opening up the subreddits in the process. Real scummy shit here.

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
LV

I was gonna make a post about the Reddit blackout here, because I find it especially fitting. Reddit has essentially replaced every forum thanks to how easy it is to make a dedicated subreddit for any hobby niche or broad.
I spent all day yesterday trying to get help with tweaking my Steam Deck and the experience was miserable. Google, Brave, Bing, etc. are basically a reddit results hub if you're trying to get to the point of anything. Otherwise your options are limited to 30 identical Pajeet articles full of ads and clutter, or a 10 minute YouTube video for a 5 second solution. It's lucky that web scrapers like BingAI are still able to pull results from Reddit atm.
The internet is unbelievably small today, and centralized platforms like Reddit are parasitic. If every subreddit were replaced with a Mariana Bay, the internet would be a much better place.

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.