Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Gaming Old hangout games as an asethetic (roblox blockland etc)

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

In the era where constant information and content is being pumped directly into our brains at all waking moments of the day we lose a sort of connection with reality and people around us. Being entertained is much easier and being bored is almost an impossibility with constant stream of shit being fueled to all of us. However in the era of IRCS and slow connections we find a way to connect to others in ways so familiar to us. The text chat is a simple yet effective form of communicating ideas , we can show emotion in various ways and express our thoughts. This is where these hangout games come in. Roblox , team fortress , blockland , counter strike ETC all serve the same purpose , they're a way of bridging a connection between two people on the internet. This connection is bridged by the interactions and setting we play the game in , but is oftentimes independent of how the game or interaction is progressing.

Picture yourself late at night in a community team fortress server with only about 3 people playing . 1 player is an AFK items bot , leaving the 2 of you to your own whims. of course you can't actually play the game in the given conditions but you still stay in the server for whatever reason. You don't have any real reason to stay other than having the time to do so , and the fact you have someone to talk to about anything. Maybe you'll talk about the state of the world , maybe you'll talk about your lives , maybe even random shit that interests you two. You friend them , but life takes in the way and you two eventually split apart. One of you will have the permanent "offline" status on their profile.
1718981218690.png
1718982123590.png

1718982175707.png

1718982199485.png
1718982275140.png

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

In the era where constant information and content is being pumped directly into our brains at all waking moments of the day we lose a sort of connection with reality and people around us. Being entertained is much easier and being bored is almost an impossibility with constant stream of shit being fueled to all of us. However in the era of IRCS and slow connections we find a way to connect to others in ways so familiar to us. The text chat is a simple yet effective form of communicating ideas , we can show emotion in various ways and express our thoughts. This is where these hangout games come in. Roblox , team fortress , blockland , counter strike ETC all serve the same purpose , they're a way of bridging a connection between two people on the internet. This connection is bridged by the interactions and setting we play the game in , but is oftentimes independent of how the game or interaction is progressing.

Picture yourself late at night in a community team fortress server with only about 3 people playing . 1 player is an AFK items bot , leaving the 2 of you to your own whims. of course you can't actually play the game in the given conditions but you still stay in the server for whatever reason. You don't have any real reason to stay other than having the time to do so , and the fact you have someone to talk to about anything. Maybe you'll talk about the state of the world , maybe you'll talk about your lives , maybe even random shit that interests you two. You friend them , but life takes in the way and you two eventually split apart. One of you will have the permanent "offline" status on their profile.
View attachment 5749
View attachment 5752

View attachment 5753

View attachment 5754
View attachment 5755

Old online block building game aesthetics give a feeling of nostalgia like none other, I'd love to go back and play old Blockland and Roblox one last time, you just had to be there to understand what peak online gaming fun it was.

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

1719062508993.png
if you've ever been on the internet for the past 17 years you've most likely seen 2fort atleast once , the map is an icon of gaming history. Many friendships were made and ended here. I remember pyrosharks always camping the waters , or the near infinite sentry nests in the intelligence room , maybe the conga lines going across the bridge when the server decided to go friendly.
1719062769776.png

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

View attachment 5768
if you've ever been on the internet for the past 17 years you've most likely seen 2fort atleast once , the map is an icon of gaming history. Many friendships were made and ended here. I remember pyrosharks always camping the waters , or the near infinite sentry nests in the intelligence room , maybe the conga lines going across the bridge when the server decided to go friendly.
View attachment 5769
I miss early 2010s TF2, was a different time and a fun one at that.

BaloneyPony

Mongolian Basket Weaver
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Minecraft and Gmod are my boring nostalgic takes. Saddest part about Minecraft is that I've been playing on and hosting the same world on my server since December 2010. Sometimes people will join me again and nice times are had but they'll eventually get bored and I'll take another break leaving the world abandoned. When I return I find their builds bring back memories of different times. Crazy stuff, I remember playing on public servers and coming across abandoned builds in Beta being a unique experience and this just amplifies the feeling.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

Minecraft and Gmod are my boring nostalgic takes. Saddest part about Minecraft is that I've been playing on and hosting the same world on my server since December 2010. Sometimes people will join me again and nice times are had but they'll eventually get bored and I'll take another break leaving the world abandoned. When I return I find their builds bring back memories of different times. Crazy stuff, I remember playing on public servers and coming across abandoned builds in Beta being a unique experience and this just amplifies the feeling.
The same world since 12.2010 sounds absolutely based and interesting. I think minecraft has lost a lot of its charm due to various QoL updates and moving away from that "ultimate sandbox" towards more of an adventure game. Also there's been a massive mentality shift among players in the last 5-10 years. Nowadays no one bothers to actually play the game. Just setup a farm for X resource and afk till you have enough of said resource. In last 6 months I played with 2 different groups of people on 2 brand new "vanilla survival" servers. There was always at least one person that afked his way to the top. Sure, we were not in a competition of any kind. There was no set goal to achieve. It's just that from my perspective minecraft for those people became a "checklist game"
1. Get elythra
2. Get netherite
3. Build pyramid for beacon
4. Defeat Wither
5. Build some absurdly oversized building / statue

There's no fun or adventure in it. Just going with line of least resistance and fastest completion.
Recently I played beta 1.7.3 with someone from this forum and group of his friends. I dunno... I forgot how fun this game can be. Decorating nether portal, fighting for your life against a ghast, building a wacky cobblestone church and falling to death multiple times while making a roof. It just, strangely hit different when it wasn't that easy.

I'm sorry for going on quite a ramble, I just wanted to get it off my chest and I legit feel like this is the best place to do so

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

there's a specific term for this, i believe its called metaspace or gamespace?, something along those lines where games had places where you can relax and take a moment to breathe and talk to the people inside the server and just enjoy it all. games like gmod, runescape, mmos, vrchat, and other games thrive on interactions like these, otherwise the play becomes work, and once it becomes work it is no longer fun.

i know i have fond memories of just relaxing to people within gmod's cinema servers about random shit, shooting the shit with randos really, and having fun exploring WoW as a kid with some random person. the most recent experience i had of this was playing SWTOR recently and i just got so engrossed into the world space and having a conversation with a group of people that almost 2 whole hours had passed without me noticing.

that is what i strive for in games like these, but sadly devs seem to be more interested in trying to steal the shekels from my wallet and trying to make everything into an ESPORT BILLION DOLLAR FRANCHISE rather than a fun experience that will be remembered for years to come.

Attachments

• The Jaded Minioncel.jpg
    The Jaded Minioncel.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 4

BaloneyPony

Mongolian Basket Weaver
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

The same world since 12.2010 sounds absolutely based and interesting. I think minecraft has lost a lot of its charm due to various QoL updates and moving away from that "ultimate sandbox" towards more of an adventure game. Also there's been a massive mentality shift among players in the last 5-10 years. Nowadays no one bothers to actually play the game. Just setup a farm for X resource and afk till you have enough of said resource. In last 6 months I played with 2 different groups of people on 2 brand new "vanilla survival" servers. There was always at least one person that afked his way to the top. Sure, we were not in a competition of any kind. There was no set goal to achieve. It's just that from my perspective minecraft for those people became a "checklist game"
1. Get elythra
2. Get netherite
4. Defeat Wither

There's no fun or adventure in it. Just going with line of least resistance and fastest completion.
Recently I played beta 1.7.3 with someone from this forum and group of his friends. I dunno... I forgot how fun this game can be. Decorating nether portal, fighting for your life against a ghast, building a wacky cobblestone church and falling to death multiple times while making a roof. It just, strangely hit different when it wasn't that easy.

I'm sorry for going on quite a ramble, I just wanted to get it off my chest and I legit feel like this is the best place to do so
You hit the nail on the fucking head, players from the post Tekkit era of Minecraft are brain dead drones who seek to do everything not fun in the game and build an over-designed mess at the end of it all. I'll share some stories of my 14 year old world and the various people I've encountered:

The world was originally made when I first got the game and wanted to show it to my friend. Him and I would play back and forth on that world testing out various mods and building a number of builds that still exist in the world in some form or another to this day.

After being the Minecraft server admin for my friends for several years I decided to just make the server world that map since I had been playing on it on and off for so long. I realized while just going around and updating some older builds that the world was unique not only in it's age but in the fact that I wasn't a raging faggot who would build 1000 farms and garbage over-designed builds so I laid out the charter for the world to emphasize no major exploits or farms in the world along with the usual "Don't be a piece of shit" rules. Over time the server would attract various people to break these simple rules.

At first the server attracted some teens interested in similar older servers like 2b2t, minecraft online and nerd3D. One of them tried to skirt around my rule by building an underground tunnel and strip mining but he had commitment issues and then tried to date someone else on the server and got distracted so thankfully I never had to ban him. He pops up from time to time to see the progress of the world. There was also a girl I would later find out was a pedo. She didn't do anything on my server but I don't tolerate filth so she's banned and blocked.

Next was the Canadians I made the mistake of inviting. Never trust a leaf boys because I set them up in the nicest little area imaginable and they turned around and made it into a large square villager exploit farm. When another player invited someone who griefed a few players, one of the leafs thought I was the type to respawn him whatever he wanted but I told him no since I didn't even want his exploit to start with so they both rage quit and one of the leafs posted a huge blog post about why I was Minecraft Stalin.

Last few years have been a bit quiet. I think people burnt out on Minecraft during the pandemic and the game is in another rut. In time there will likely be a new wave of Minecraft interest and consequently interest in my server. Anyways here's a few old builds:
Great Ziggurat of R'lyeh
minecraft zigarat.jpg
The Imperial Capital of Cydonia (modded cherry blossoms don't show on the dynamic map. Also seasons mod leads to strange looking snow at the border of render distance)
minecraft Cydonia.png
The Valley of Wheat
minecraft valley of wheat.png
Spawn Island (Oldest untouched build on the server)
minecraft spawn island.jpg
Glenmoril Tower
minecraft glenmoril.jpg
The Mountain City of Long Yang
minecraft long yang.jpg
The Desert City of Amalthea
minecraft almathea.jpg

Attachments

• minecraft spawn island.jpg
    minecraft spawn island.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 4

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

You hit the nail on the fucking head, players from the post Tekkit era of Minecraft are brain dead drones who seek to do everything not fun in the game and build an over-designed mess at the end of it all. I'll share some stories of my 14 year old world and the various people I've encountered:

The world was originally made when I first got the game and wanted to show it to my friend. Him and I would play back and forth on that world testing out various mods and building a number of builds that still exist in the world in some form or another to this day.

After being the Minecraft server admin for my friends for several years I decided to just make the server world that map since I had been playing on it on and off for so long. I realized while just going around and updating some older builds that the world was unique not only in it's age but in the fact that I wasn't a raging faggot who would build 1000 farms and garbage over-designed builds so I laid out the charter for the world to emphasize no major exploits or farms in the world along with the usual "Don't be a piece of shit" rules. Over time the server would attract various people to break these simple rules.

At first the server attracted some teens interested in similar older servers like 2b2t, minecraft online and nerd3D. One of them tried to skirt around my rule by building an underground tunnel and strip mining but he had commitment issues and then tried to date someone else on the server and got distracted so thankfully I never had to ban him. He pops up from time to time to see the progress of the world. There was also a girl I would later find out was a pedo. She didn't do anything on my server but I don't tolerate filth so she's banned and blocked.

Next was the Canadians I made the mistake of inviting. Never trust a leaf boys because I set them up in the nicest little area imaginable and they turned around and made it into a large square villager exploit farm. When another player invited someone who griefed a few players, one of the leafs thought I was the type to respawn him whatever he wanted but I told him no since I didn't even want his exploit to start with so they both rage quit and one of the leafs posted a huge blog post about why I was Minecraft Stalin.

Last few years have been a bit quiet. I think people burnt out on Minecraft during the pandemic and the game is in another rut. In time there will likely be a new wave of Minecraft interest and consequently interest in my server. Anyways here's a few old builds:
Great Ziggurat of R'lyeh
View attachment 5775
The Imperial Capital of Cydonia (modded cherry blossoms don't show on the dynamic map. Also seasons mod leads to strange looking snow at the border of render distance)
View attachment 5776
The Valley of Wheat
View attachment 5777
View attachment 5778
Glenmoril Tower
View attachment 5780
View attachment 5781
View attachment 5782
>Next was the Canadians I made the mistake of inviting

smh. the moment a canadian minecraft autist joins your server they immediately go out of their way to try to kill the fun.

i think those type of players who rush in to immediately try to "ANY/ALL% SPEEDRUN METABUILDS ONLY I NEED TO FIND EXPLOITS TO MAXIMIZE MY IRON FARM NOW" players are the ones that end up ruining the game for all. makes a game go from "oh wow this is cool im going to have fun at my own pace" to "i need to watch 5 minecraft tutorial videos on how to make BUILD A B C to min-max"

minecraft, unfortunately, has strayed away from its sandbox foundation to an adventure game and i think thats the reason why so many people dont like modern day minecraft. i play minecraft to build cool shit, not to travel over 20,000 blocks to find a specific item to then go travel another 5000 to find another dungeon and rinse and repeat.

also netherite is fucking gay real men prefer diamond because it looks better

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

1. Get elythra
2. Get netherite
4. Defeat Wither

Ive been playing beta minecraft with a few friends recently and we've been having alot of fun , the ability to pretty much just do what you want is really freeing from the monotony of modern minecraft where it seems like its a set goal rather than what you make of it. The progression in beta is much different and requires you to set your own goals and follow through with them whilst I don't really get that in modern. It feels ironically ,very linear and set it stone. With the fixed and simple progression system and block palette of beta it sorta forces a restrained creativity where i think you become more creative from its restraint. I often find resource gathering and collecting being much more straightforward so I don't feel the need of pushing myself to get the best items for the job prior to placing a single block.

and to shoehorn the larger point I definitely think minecraft is a perfect example of these hangout games in the thread . Although i didn't mention minecraft it definitely fits being a hangout game where you can just talk and chill. In minecraft theres almost no real threat or general concept to avoid or strive through , and thus it creates this sort of enviornment where you can pretty much shoot the shit without anyone getting pissed at you.

2024-03-02_15.21.21.png

2024-03-02_17.14.30.png

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

>Next was the Canadians I made the mistake of inviting

smh. the moment a canadian minecraft autist joins your server they immediately go out of their way to try to kill the fun.

i think those type of players who rush in to immediately try to "ANY/ALL% SPEEDRUN METABUILDS ONLY I NEED TO FIND EXPLOITS TO MAXIMIZE MY IRON FARM NOW" players are the ones that end up ruining the game for all. makes a game go from "oh wow this is cool im going to have fun at my own pace" to "i need to watch 5 minecraft tutorial videos on how to make BUILD A B C to min-max"

minecraft, unfortunately, has strayed away from its sandbox foundation to an adventure game and i think thats the reason why so many people dont like modern day minecraft. i play minecraft to build cool shit, not to travel over 20,000 blocks to find a specific item to then go travel another 5000 to find another dungeon and rinse and repeat.

also netherite is fucking gay real men prefer diamond because it looks better
One of my friends sperged out and became a tranny over a minecraft dispute , but to be honest he was fucking annoying anyway.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

Great Ziggurat of R'lyeh
View attachment 5775
View attachment 5776
The Valley of Wheat
View attachment 5777
View attachment 5778
Glenmoril Tower
View attachment 5780
View attachment 5781
View attachment 5782
can i get in 👉👈 ? I can't promise I will be playing a lot (uni finals coming up). But I would love to leave my mark of some sort there.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

worse ,he was an annoying terraria player too
I hate terraria so much it's unreal. It was being sold as a "minecraft in 2D" while in reality it's something completely different. I played it for a bit from curiosity, but it was just 2spooky4me

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.