Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Hardcore Screamo

cat

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

"Screamo" is a term that gets misused often. I've seen people use it to describe any music with screaming in it, however that is not what screamo is. My way of defining screamo is emotional hardcore (emo) music using screaming as a way to further emphasize emotion.
Screamo started in the 90's with ties to the hardcore scene, much like the 1st wave emo scene. Many of these 90's bands also had powerviolence influences, creating a subgenre of screamo named emoviolence

Here's an example of 90's screamo:

In the 2000's screamo shifted their sound which appealed to mainstream audiences. This style of screamo included poppy choruses, fry screaming, and post-hardcore instrumentals. There are people who refuse to recognize this style of music as "screamo" For that reason, many people have started labeling 90's screamo as "skramz" in order to separate the two. I recognize this wave of screamo as a legitimate style of screamo. Music evolves over time.

Example of 2000's screamo

I know less about modern screamo bands, however from what I've listened to, a lot of modern screamo bands take influences from midwest emo, 90's screamo, indie rock, and sometimes even shoegaze

Any discussion of screamo is welcome

XieXie

Amen-Heartbreaker
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

"Screamo" is a term that gets misused often. I've seen people use it to describe any music with screaming in it, however that is not what screamo is. My way of defining screamo is emotional hardcore (emo) music using screaming as a way to further emphasize emotion.
Screamo started in the 90's with ties to the hardcore scene, much like the 1st wave emo scene. Many of these 90's bands also had powerviolence influences, creating a subgenre of screamo named emoviolence

Here's an example of 90's screamo:

In the 2000's screamo shifted their sound which appealed to mainstream audiences. This style of screamo included poppy choruses, fry screaming, and post-hardcore instrumentals. There are people who refuse to recognize this style of music as "screamo" For that reason, many people have started labeling 90's screamo as "skramz" in order to separate the two. I recognize this wave of screamo as a legitimate style of screamo. Music evolves over time.

Example of 2000's screamo

I know less about modern screamo bands, however from what I've listened to, a lot of modern screamo bands take influences from midwest emo, 90's screamo, indie rock, and sometimes even shoegaze

Any discussion of screamo is welcome

That orchid album is so cool. I can't believe I haven't really gone into this genre of music that much yet.
this is fucking amazing

q.q wow

• Love
Reactions: cat

cat

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

That orchid album is so cool. I can't believe I haven't really gone into this genre of music that much yet.

q.q wow
orchid chaos is me is always a great introduction to screamo. another great introduction to screamo is the band pageninetynine

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.