Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Music Tech Harmonic Mixing

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

Sup everyone,
I want to touch on a subject of harmonic mixing. What even is that / how it works / some examples

I have to admit that I got to know about this mixing technique from my inner voices. So you can already get a rough idea how it will go.

1. What is that
Harmonic mixing is a mixing technique where you use information about the key that's used in a song to create smoother transitions. It's as simple as
1. Know the key of a song
2. Find another song in the same / similar key
3. Splice them together

2. How it works
To create mixes that "flow together" you're supposed to use this wheel.
1696424819289.jpeg

Quick explanation
For a mix to "flow" you're supposed to use the same key or one that's adjacent to one that your current song has. So from 5A you can go to 4A/5A/6A/5B. For easier understanding of transitions there's also this table
harn.png
Shit starts to contradict itself real quick. I think that this chart should've ended on a "scale change" section. As stuff like mood are much more dependent on a track itself, not the underlying key in which it was written.

3. Examples (before I start shilling my ass mix)
There isn't many, but one that I see thrown around comes from here
Keep in mind that "mixed in key" is a company that seems to be the biggest shill of this technique.

4. My experience
I decided to tackle this subject as unbiased as I could. I got myself a trial of "DJ Studio" app with "Mixed in Key" plugin and began to work.
Detection of key/BPM seems alright. Other online detectors struggled with songs that are over 130-140 bpm. Showing their beat rate at half of what's really there. No such issues with a mixed in key plugin. So far so good.
Another feature that caught my attention was option to "automix" songs via DJ Studio software. Just throw your songs, give it 5 mintues (or less) and you're good to go. I decided to test it with some mid tempo / melodic dubstep. Lucky for me all keys were within short distance from each other, only detected bpm was swinging between 90-125.
Here are the results of a automix: (it's 6 minutes long for 5 songs. Feel free to jump around to just hear the transitions)

Yes, it's rather mid. It'a a piece of software afterall. So I decided to correct it myself, while not touching the song order:
Then as my trial was coming to the end I thought "how about trying to mix it as I would like ?" Still using the DJ Studio app to keep it somewhat fair with earlier mixes. But not giving a dam about the guidelines
Another 6 minutes of the same 5 ass songs here: (it's unironically bad kek)
I decided to use the same song for a start, but after it whatever I felt like.

5. Conclusion
I don't think that you should be using only rules from those charts to mix. Common sense always scores higher than some numbers and arbitrary rules. Will I use it again ?
No because my trial ended and I'm not gonna pay 10$ a month lol

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

Dude that's some decent stuff for starting off tho, keep it up!
I want to learn a bit about creating mixtapes / mixes. My goal is to be able to make "continuous mix" of albums that I like. Smth like this:
I groove with it way more than having to hear a minute worth of intro / ending of each song

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I want to learn a bit about creating mixtapes / mixes. My goal is to be able to make "continuous mix" of albums that I like. Smth like this:
I groove with it way more than having to hear a minute worth of intro / ending of each song

Nice man, go for it. Look forward to see what you come up with on here.

MemoryHead 記念頭部

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Sup everyone,
I want to touch on a subject of harmonic mixing. What even is that / how it works / some examples

I have to admit that I got to know about this mixing technique from my inner voices. So you can already get a rough idea how it will go.

1. What is that
Harmonic mixing is a mixing technique where you use information about the key that's used in a song to create smoother transitions. It's as simple as
1. Know the key of a song
2. Find another song in the same / similar key
3. Splice them together

2. How it works
To create mixes that "flow together" you're supposed to use this wheel.
View attachment 1836

Quick explanation
For a mix to "flow" you're supposed to use the same key or one that's adjacent to one that your current song has. So from 5A you can go to 4A/5A/6A/5B. For easier understanding of transitions there's also this table
View attachment 1837
Shit starts to contradict itself real quick. I think that this chart should've ended on a "scale change" section. As stuff like mood are much more dependent on a track itself, not the underlying key in which it was written.

3. Examples (before I start shilling my ass mix)
There isn't many, but one that I see thrown around comes from here
Keep in mind that "mixed in key" is a company that seems to be the biggest shill of this technique.

4. My experience
I decided to tackle this subject as unbiased as I could. I got myself a trial of "DJ Studio" app with "Mixed in Key" plugin and began to work.
Detection of key/BPM seems alright. Other online detectors struggled with songs that are over 130-140 bpm. Showing their beat rate at half of what's really there. No such issues with a mixed in key plugin. So far so good.
Another feature that caught my attention was option to "automix" songs via DJ Studio software. Just throw your songs, give it 5 mintues (or less) and you're good to go. I decided to test it with some mid tempo / melodic dubstep. Lucky for me all keys were within short distance from each other, only detected bpm was swinging between 90-125.
Here are the results of a automix: (it's 6 minutes long for 5 songs. Feel free to jump around to just hear the transitions)

Yes, it's rather mid. It'a a piece of software afterall. So I decided to correct it myself, while not touching the song order:
Then as my trial was coming to the end I thought "how about trying to mix it as I would like ?" Still using the DJ Studio app to keep it somewhat fair with earlier mixes. But not giving a dam about the guidelines
Another 6 minutes of the same 5 ass songs here: (it's unironically bad kek)
I decided to use the same song for a start, but after it whatever I felt like.

5. Conclusion
I don't think that you should be using only rules from those charts to mix. Common sense always scores higher than some numbers and arbitrary rules. Will I use it again ?
No because my trial ended and I'm not gonna pay 10$ a month lol

you play?

MemoryHead 記念頭部

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

No. I want to create some songs in the future. Just to learn the workflow, maybe stretch it to an album if I will have some good ideas. I still need to learn a lot about music theory. So any good link / resource is welcome
I mean literally my advice is just doing it. Don't be regimented about it at first. Make mistakes, do retarded musical shit. That is how you learn. It probably won't be good, but you have to find your footing and that doesn't really happen any other way than just doing shit

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

I mean literally my advice is just doing it. Don't be regimented about it at first. Make mistakes, do retarded musical shit. That is how you learn. It probably won't be good, but you have to find your footing and that doesn't really happen any other way than just doing shit
NGL it would be good to at least know what type of music I want to make. But yeah. Just talking about it won't take me anywhere

MemoryHead 記念頭部

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

NGL it would be good to at least know what type of music I want to make. But yeah. Just talking about it won't take me anywhere
Don't get caught up with genres. Buy a little Casio keyboard if you have to, or a cheap guitar. Just mess around and see how sounds work together

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Lord_hierophantūs @ Lord_hierophantūs: butt +1