Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Kino Error in Crowdstrike update causes BDOS and bootloops on windows machines world wide

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR GOING FOR A CLOUD SOLUTION
Clears throat
Ahem. Looks like a faulty update of crowdstrike (antivitus) causes windows machines to BDOS and then fail to reboot. Pretty much everything is affected. Airports, hospitals, checkouts, vending machines etc. CBA to link to everything, here is a nice live update feed from BBC

Pajeets and IT support departments on suicide watch.
Man I sure love my cetralized solutions with a single point of failure

1721377789964.png

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR GOING FOR A CLOUD SOLUTION
Clears throat
Ahem. Looks like a faulty update of crowdstrike (antivitus) causes windows machines to BDOS and then fail to reboot. Pretty much everything is affected. Airports, hospitals, checkouts, vending machines etc. CBA to link to everything, here is a nice live update feed from BBC

Pajeets and IT support departments on suicide watch.
Man I sure love my cetralized solutions with a single point of failure

View attachment 5882

What even in the update caused this and how did no IT "expert" foresee this coming and prevent it in the first place? Is the whole internet ecosystem seriously this fragile? This whole story seems so preventable and silly.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

What even in the update caused this and how did no IT "expert" foresee this coming and prevent it in the first place? Is the whole internet ecosystem seriously this fragile? This whole story seems so preventable and silly.

Update was pushed to the world in "non-white office hours". Someone seriously screwed up over there, but i'm not really surprised. People from India are hired in bulk cause they have the certifications and a degree. Looks like no competence tho.

>What was in the update.
No idea. It will take some time before details will be disclosed.

fartcannon420

the ghost of kiev
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

isn't this EXACTLY why most all hospitals and other 'important' places have old tech that's running on Win95? i feel like this is a really good argument for NOT having cloud storage and cloud connections, especially with all of the leaks and other reasons why it's not a good idea.

no wonder it was India. the India of today is a shithole and every intelligent Indian has left the country. makes me wonder how ancient India figured out all of the meditation and spiritual stuff, at least the stuff that transcends their specific religion. maybe they were subverted with the Caste system and *were* a superpower, lol. i've just met and dealt with too many of the stupid Indians to defend the country as a whole. my first interactions with Indians were intelligent ones in school; immigrant families with children being put into good schools. they were all completely capable and normal, very well adjusted to America. so i'm not being racist here when i'm talking about them; there's two different kinds of Indians and i much prefer one over the other. it's not even a cultural thing, i've seen a couple intelligent Indians that still have strong religious/cultural backgrounds and ties.

Bibr

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
birb-site.neocities.org
LV

isn't this EXACTLY why most all hospitals and other 'important' places have old tech that's running on Win95? i feel like this is a really good argument for NOT having cloud storage and cloud connections, especially with all of the leaks and other reasons why it's not a good idea.
It's a bit complicated.

Old systems are still around because there are highly specific programs that work only on said OS. We all hear that US army is still using computers with win 98 and floppy discs. That's because:
1. It runs some very specific software that was not rewritten for newer OS
2. It's reliable af
3. Such computers are not plugged into the internet, there's no need to keep it up to date security wise
4. It controls some other legacy device
Usually it's few of the above.

I had few such machines at my previous work. Computers running windows XP with some accounting software. We would love to update them to win 10, but development of said software stopped at windows XP and it's not like we can write our own from scratch. We made sure those machines were not connected to the internet and I bet they're still running in that dusty cabinet.

fartcannon420

the ghost of kiev
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

It's a bit complicated.

Old systems are still around because there are highly specific programs that work only on said OS. We all hear that US army is still using computers with win 98 and floppy discs. That's because:
1. It runs some very specific software that was not rewritten for newer OS
2. It's reliable af
3. Such computers are not plugged into the internet, there's no need to keep it up to date security wise
4. It controls some other legacy device
Usually it's few of the above.
i am aware of these and part of why i've always been against the conglomeration of the internet to make it a 'service' that you are given access to. my argument i guess is more that if philosophies based off of the things you've mentioned here were in application even 10 years ago we might have upgraded machines but with less reliance on global networks. i just can't fathom why you would trust something that is fallible with no backups - even in a 1% scenario - with such important tasks such as medical. i think we also have become too reliant on a lot of the softwares that exist. without them we are nothing.

ThirdyAughtSix

Hells Janitor
Janny
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

update was made by crowdstrike and then sent to be microsoft to be screened , of course microsoft didn't care at all and let a shit update pass and clearly didn't screen it at all
Jokes write themselves, you boys predicted correctly
View attachment 5884

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

the moral of the story is to never trust an indian with your I.T needs (or for anything for that matter)

playFACE

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I mean they are good for YouTube tutorials, you've gotta give them that
when their thick indian accent is legible maybe. hard to give them credit if you cant understand them for jack and the are no subtitles within sight

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.