Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Gaming Anybody here into TTRPGs?

Sneedster

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Me I used to play a ton with a group pre-covid, then during the lockdown I learned to play solo RPGs. Not bad. As far as the games themselves I could never stomach spreadsheet and book-keeping crap like DnD and Cuckfinder, we stuck to light narrative RPGs like Trollbabe (kinoest system for Witcher / knight errant type campaigns by the btw).
Anyways what's your experience with this medium

bandolerofuzz

El Bandito
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
temeria.neocities.org
LV

Me I used to play a ton with a group pre-covid, then during the lockdown I learned to play solo RPGs. Not bad. As far as the games themselves I could never stomach spreadsheet and book-keeping crap like DnD and Cuckfinder, we stuck to light narrative RPGs like Trollbabe (kinoest system for Witcher / knight errant type campaigns by the btw).
Anyways what's your experience with this medium
Tried DnD with the Mythic GME for like a week or two before uni started again. It was somewhat interesting, although I started with a bit generic roleplaying story for me (some veteran soldier, looking for a companion from war), if I had a bit more time I will pick it up again.

I always find myself cringing when telling people about it. It is clear to me that most don't have a jackshit idea that for the majority of the time is just an extra step level for creative writing, and if you are in a group, some level of acting.

whateverwhateverwhatever angry rant, how was your experience with it? Too monotonous, predictable? How big was the level of chance and randomess to the world and characters, and did you enjoy it?

Sneedster

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Tried DnD with the Mythic GME for like a week or two before uni started again. It was somewhat interesting, although I started with a bit generic roleplaying story for me (some veteran soldier, looking for a companion from war), if I had a bit more time I will pick it up again.

I always find myself cringing when telling people about it. It is clear to me that most don't have a jackshit idea that for the majority of the time is just an extra step level for creative writing, and if you are in a group, some level of acting.

whateverwhateverwhatever angry rant, how was your experience with it? Too monotonous, predictable? How big was the level of chance and randomess to the world and characters, and did you enjoy it?
Oh I can't play anymore because I'm obsessed about making my own system. That process is a whole other can of worms, but it's been fun

¡ZALAZ!

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Lately, I have had a hankering for playing tactical tabletop wargames but not diving in to warhammer as that seems to require a real investment of time and money just to start. I haven't got any friends that want to do this but I do have friends that needed a DM for a standard DnD campaign. I am now using this campaign to play DnD as a pure tactical war game, which is quite fun. Each session I create one or two squads the group has to battle in a seemingly inescapable forest. There are pre-determined rewards and XP as well. Good times.
In the 80s, when I was a kid, my uncles would play DnD in my grandmothers basement and even let me sit in sometimes. I always thought it was so neat but somewhere along the line it lost an aesthetic edge it has never regained. For a long time i meandered through the TTRPG depths finding something I really vibed with(started at white wolf then on to some Lovecraftian stuff) but it never really lived up to what felt like a more or less mystical experience as a child. I figure thats mostly on me so I have reined in my expectations. DnD is fine, can basically do whatever you want w it. The multiple dice system is a little clunky, but i guess that clunkiness is also appealing to some people.
I really love these older style texts.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I left my local DnD group as the incel dungeonmaster got pissed off at me and my girlfriend making out during a drunk dnd session so he banned my gf after seething about it over winter break and only telling us after. I find it funny he only banned my gf and not me like I'm gonna show up after he has disrespected my girl like that. I chewed him out on text on why he couldn't just warned us for next time and that he allowed my murderer troll character to exist but kissing was too far, but either way that has left a bad taste in my mouth for DnD going forwards, too many autismos who get petty over minor shit.

Sneedster

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I left my local DnD group as the incel dungeonmaster got pissed off at me and my girlfriend making out during a drunk dnd session so he banned my gf after seething about it over winter break and only telling us after. I find it funny he only banned my gf and not me like I'm gonna show up after he has disrespected my girl like that. I chewed him out on text on why he couldn't just warned us for next time and that he allowed my murderer troll character to exist but kissing was too far, but either way that has left a bad taste in my mouth for DnD going forwards, too many autismos who get petty over minor shit.
You want to kiss go to a cinema mate. If you're going to an autism ritual respect the autism

Sneedster

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Bro I'm autistic and so is my gf, also we were drunk man just dropping the permaban was mega gay.
In any case it was literal unironic DnD, I'd have thanked the guy for permabanning me :swag:

BaloneyPony

Mongolian Basket Weaver
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

I enjoy some tabletop games from time to time. I personally do a one player campaign with my GF on Pathfinder though I really want to bunker down and write my own setting for a world based loosely on our 14 year old Minecraft world. I also play DnD when visiting my older sister. I usually prefer to DM games but when I play I like to make things interesting and roleplay as a Lorekeeper/Loremaster archetype. I used to play the Star Wars Tabletop when I was a kid which I remember being fun but rarely finding anyone interested enough to play for very long. I've also got interest in trying Cyberpunk and Vampire the Masquerade as fans of the game adaptations but I feel very lost when trying to think of characters to play.

bandolerofuzz

El Bandito
V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
Website
temeria.neocities.org
LV

based gm

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.