Mariana Bay

Join the Mariana Bay to take part in the discussion, we would love to have you on board! We have multiple boards for whatever your interests may be and our community will make you feel right at home, so what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

Anime & Manga The Boy and the Heron

clover

Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

zbMRm6P6wPe9SQ6qJ7ZTAvCMS6e-scaled.jpg

Has anyone else on MB seen this yet? I thought it was pretty comfy. Not sure how to feel about Miyazaki's self insert having some weird romantic undertones with the same-aged version of his mom, but whatever. Digged the animation and symbolic elements.

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

zbMRm6P6wPe9SQ6qJ7ZTAvCMS6e-scaled.jpg

Has anyone else on MB seen this yet? I thought it was pretty comfy. Not sure how to feel about Miyazaki's self insert having some weird romantic undertones with the same-aged version of his mom, but whatever. Digged the animation and symbolic elements.
I really want to see it in cinema with the missus but it's not out until end of December, though definitely will see it when it does release. I'm surprised a new Miyazaki did come out, I swear ten years back was like the fifth time Miyazaki was saying he would quit animation only to stroll back into his office few years later, probably because he got bored during retirement or something, no complaints from me of course.

jnoj

V.I.P.
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Will be seeing this at the weekend! I'll tell you guys what I think after, can't wait to see a Ghibli film in cinemas again, my last was Ponyo.
I watched it in theatres this last weekend with my girlfriend. We both REALLY liked it. The opening is seared in my mind even days later. You'll like it a lot, I'm sure. I think it won a golden globe recently, if that means anything.

Last edited:

Khastle

Herald of the Mariana
Janny
Top Poster Of Month
Marianan ID
Threads
Reaction score
Awards
LV

Alright I saw this finally with the missus and like no doubt it was good movie but confusing too. What was it about exactly? Letting go of the past? Trying not to escape to another world to avoid issues and staying within reality no matter how bleak and harsh it may be? I have been thinking on what each character such as The Heron and The Uncle are suppose to represent, and it's an interesting movie that really makes you think. I know it's based off an old Japanese book so maybe research into that will give better context.

Also obviously the animation was amazing, Ghibli truly hasn't lost its touch and with this most likely being Miyazaki's last film (like the guy is almost 80 now I swear, surely more ain't coming out of him after this) it's a remarkable send-off and a visual splendour to behold. The dub voice cast was also rather good I must add, Ghibli usually does a good job with these than most anime studios who hire squeaky Americans who sound like they have a boatload of helium.

All in all, worth the watch and definitely worth catching in cinemas as this may be the last chance we get to see a Ghibli film on the big screen.

Boatyard
Rules Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the current room.